I love magic, and I love EDH. When I was in High School I used to play tournaments all around New England. I was part of a group that would split the prize money/decks and we were super competitive. And I mean Competitive with a capitol C. We played Astral Slide, Ravager Affinity, Keeper, Etc. All the big decks from '03-'04, never cared about being nice and generally, we were jerks. Then, I got bored, wanted to be nicer, went to college and basically stopped playing magic until about '09. I got really into the casual multilayer scene and eventually EDH (For reference, the rules for the format http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php). And now I am so into it I am writing a self centered bog about how awesome my decks are.
OK the Rules for my decks/Play Style.
Aggro: Hence the name of this thing. I like Decks that Attack, or at least advance the Game State. 99% of the time this means attacking. Don't get my wrong, I love control decks, I mean, used to play Keeper. But Control decks are fun for exactly 1 person, and half the reason EDH has grabbed me is it is so much fun for everyone.
Don't Be A Dick TM : Should be self explanatory, but it really really isn't. I'm not saying "Don't kill that guy!" or "Don't blow up my Mirari's Wake! I need it for my super sweet combo!". No, if that's the optimal play? Do it. Just because its a casual format doesn't mean you get free moves. I mean don't play with Sundering Titan. Don't play with Armageddon. Don't play with a million Counter Spells. Just, don't be a dick. Competent player is more than fine though!
And...Well thats it really. Up Next? Stonebrow, Krosan Hero!
P.S. It seems I never said what I mean by advancing the Game State. Simply, it means advancing the game to its end. Don't get me wrong, every turn doesn't have to solely consist of attacking, and every turn doesn't have 100% go toward advancing the game. Mana Ramp is more than acceptable, hell even a wrath or two is healthy for the game! I just mean don't wipe the board every single turn, don't play 1 Billion Fog effects, don't reset the game every turn until you win. Effectively no Control (Aggro-control is fine, just try to actually advance the game every turn) and No Combo (at least no "Do nothing for 20 turns then kill everyone in one hit" combo decks)
P.P.S. I wasn't sure where to put this, and this seems like a fine place. Since I am not "reviewing" my decks in Chronological Order I wanted to list them in Chronological Order by General:
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Sharuum the Hegemon (now non-existent)
Ascendant Evincar (now non-existent)
Crovax, Ascendant Hero (Guess what? No non-existent)
Experiment Kraj (Say it with me now. "Non-existent")
Brion Stoutarm
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Still exists, but needs massive work)
Sharuum the Hegemon (now non-existent)
Ascendant Evincar (now non-existent)
Crovax, Ascendant Hero (Guess what? No non-existent)
Experiment Kraj (Say it with me now. "Non-existent")
Brion Stoutarm
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Still exists, but needs massive work)
Skullbriar, the Walking Grave
Sharuum the Hegemon V2.0 (now non-existent)
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Why did 4 of my first 5 decks vanish? Ascendent Envincar and Crovax, Ascendent hero ended up too schizophrenic for me. They would either dominate the game, beating everyone else with no one showing any resistance or they would crumble around turn 4 and never recover. They eventually became Ghost Council, which is fairing much much better. Sharrum wanted to do 3 things: Blow up the board every turn, Draw a lot of cards, combo out. Sharrum V 2.0 wanted to do 3 things: Blow up the board every turn, Draw alot of cards, Slowly attack and eventually kill everyone. V2.0 turned out to be worse and whilst I do eventually want to make a Sharrum Deck that is aggro, it is on the back burner for now. Kraj just wanted to do the same thing every single game. Play Archmage Ascension, proliferate it up to 7 counters, play Time Sprial, win because you tutored 7 cards for free. I have it in pieces currently and I want to turn it into a Mimeoplasm/proliferate deck. Tariel just needs a lot of work because the Angel theme is great and all, but I never have enough Mana Ramp.
P.P.P.S. I never explained the term swing, which comes up a lot. Swing is magic slang for attacking. So "I attack with creature X" is also just "Creature X swings". As most of my decks are aggro (aggressive) I attack a lot. Hence the name of this blog, Swing General, Swing (A play on Swing Batter, Swing. Aren't I clever?)
Sharuum the Hegemon V2.0 (now non-existent)
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Why did 4 of my first 5 decks vanish? Ascendent Envincar and Crovax, Ascendent hero ended up too schizophrenic for me. They would either dominate the game, beating everyone else with no one showing any resistance or they would crumble around turn 4 and never recover. They eventually became Ghost Council, which is fairing much much better. Sharrum wanted to do 3 things: Blow up the board every turn, Draw a lot of cards, combo out. Sharrum V 2.0 wanted to do 3 things: Blow up the board every turn, Draw alot of cards, Slowly attack and eventually kill everyone. V2.0 turned out to be worse and whilst I do eventually want to make a Sharrum Deck that is aggro, it is on the back burner for now. Kraj just wanted to do the same thing every single game. Play Archmage Ascension, proliferate it up to 7 counters, play Time Sprial, win because you tutored 7 cards for free. I have it in pieces currently and I want to turn it into a Mimeoplasm/proliferate deck. Tariel just needs a lot of work because the Angel theme is great and all, but I never have enough Mana Ramp.
P.P.P.S. I never explained the term swing, which comes up a lot. Swing is magic slang for attacking. So "I attack with creature X" is also just "Creature X swings". As most of my decks are aggro (aggressive) I attack a lot. Hence the name of this blog, Swing General, Swing (A play on Swing Batter, Swing. Aren't I clever?)
No comments:
Post a Comment